Tomahawk is open-source and free a new kind of music player that brings all of your streams, downloads, cloud music storage, playlists, radio stations and friends to the same party. It is multi source audio player which not only plays your local collection, but it can also stream from different services using plugins from SoundCloud, Spotify, Beats, YouTube and many more. It also allows you to connect to your friends via GTalk/Jabber and share your playlist and collection, browse your friends playlist and play their libraries, stations, playlists or just listen along to whatever they are playing.
Changelog of this version:
- Redesigned – Shiny new interface. Simplified. New icons.
- Added Friend Feed.
- Now Playing notifications – support for OS-level notification systems.
- Many actions now available in context menu – including Favorite and Send to a Friend.
- Drag and drop support for iTunes, Deezer, Beats Music, Radio, Spotify, SoundCloud links (into Tomahawk) for playlists/tracks/artists/album links.
- Support for clicking source icon for currently playing track in audio controls to take user to associated page on source’s site
- Added Hatchet plug-in.
- Added Google Play Music and Beats Music support.
- Add links to Support site, Bug Reports and Translations to Help menu.
- Add “What’s New” page to display on first launch (or until user dismisses it) – also available from Help menu.
- Changed label from “Resolvers” and “Services” to more generic “Plug-Ins”.
- Clarified some labels, help text and status messages.
- Changed icon color a bit.
- Added “Acoustic” and “Electric” songtypes to Stations options.
- Removed some stale Chart sources.
- Playback Queue now saves its state across sessions.
- Queue now moved to sidebar.
- Added “Inbox” feature, showing incoming song recommendations. Dropping a track on a user in the sidebar sends a recommendation to them.
- You will now be asked whether you want to trust invalid SSL certificates.
- Improved connecting between Tomahawk peers and support having multiple IPs (including IPv6).
- Removed Top Loved from sidebar.
- Removed Spotify playlist syncing (we will bring it back in future versions).
- Heavily reduced memory footprint during and after indexing the database.
- Retina display and DPI scaling fixes.
- New Collection views. Re-added support for tracklist view of Collection.
- Added Telepathy support.
- Plugin refactoring (and .AXE resolver binaries).
- Removed Twitter due to change in Twitter’s API.
- Removed auto-playlists.
- Improved error messages.
- Added basic remote control API.
- Add support for Opus codec (requires TagLib 1.9).
- Support rtmp:// streams.
- Support custom headers in CustomUrlHandler.
- Fuzzy search indices for JS Resolvers.
Note: Latest version is only available for Ubuntu 14.10/14.04/Linux Mint 17/related Ubuntu versions.
To install Tomahawk Player in Ubuntu 14.10/14.04/12.04/Linux Mint 17/13 open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tomahawk/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tomahawk