Curlew is a multimedia converter program and perform its functionality using ffmpeg. It is been around from a while and it’s free, open source and easy to use, it supports many formats and it is written in GTK3 and Python programming language.
Most recently project came back to life to again in order to support latest Ubuntu and its derivatives, it can be installed on other distributions using source. The development was stopped because ffmpeg and libav were removed from Ubuntu repositories back in time then we didn’t get any update from developer but now everything settled down, we have ffmpeg available in default Ubuntu repositories and developer recently pushed the new version of this application, it works with all current Ubuntu versions and its derivatives such as Linux Mint. The GUI is redesigned and introduced new features as well and better than the previous versions.
- Easy to use with simple user interface.
- Hide the advanced options with the ability to show them.
- Convert to more than 100 different formats.
- Show file informations (duration, remaining time, estimated size, progress value).
- Allow to skip or remove file during conversion process.
- Preview file before conversion.
- Convert a specified portion of file.
- Combine subtitle with video file.
- Show error details if exist.
- And more …